Monday, June 27, 2011

Another week in sport

Hi sports fans and welcome to another great week of sport.

Firstly I just wanted to say how great it was to see Bernard Tomic reach the quarter finals at Wimbledon. If your an Aussie and not behind this lad, you should be. On sheer belief and determination the 18 year old beat ranked 42 Xavier Malisse. Watch this space for a great finish for the young champion, I'm sure there will be more great things to come.

On Saturday I had the honour of seeing the Ice Hockey in our nations capital. The Canberra Knights went down 10-3 to the Goldcoast Blue Tongues in what was a thrilling game. Being my first time at the Ice Hockey I was in awe at the speed and toughness shown by both sides. There were a couple of dust ups during the game which only added to the magnificent intensity of the game and saw players from both sides binned several times. The cosy, yet chilly confines of the arena made it a memorable night for myself and my wife and definitely got me jumping out of my chair. If you haven't already, get down to see the boys get into it every Saturday night, you won't be disappointed I know i wasn't.

On to League, everyone is awaiting the impending State of Origin match at Suncorp stadium. There is an injury cloud surrounding the blues at the moment, most noticeably the hamstring injury to Jamie Soward. I'm sure Jamie will be fine and we will see another fast paced fiery encounter when the two sides meet at next Wednesday. Having the series now levelled I'm sure that both sides will be out to prove which state deserves to be victors.

It will be great to see Darryn Lockyer play his final game for the maroons and I hope that he gets the send off that the great man truly deserves. We as league supporters have been blessed to see him perform week in an week out and I'm sure that he will try his hardest to lead the Broncos to another premiership victory.

Speaking of injuries, there is debate at the moment over the "Cannonball" tackle currently being used by a few players. Anyone unfamiliar to the tackle, a player is held up whilst another player hits the legs of the player with a great deal of force. This no doubt will be banned by the NRL and will be another grey area for referees to police. There is a fine line however when it comes to the attacking player still fighting in the tackle. I guess the players that are guilty of these tackles need to remember that what comes around will surely go around.

So what was your memorable moment in sport for the last couple of weeks? Do "Cannonball" tackles need to be abolished and who will win the State of Origin?

No comments:

Post a Comment